As 2023 comes to a close, we’re reflecting on another year of special moments that can only happen at World Cafe Live!
Top 10 WCL Experiences of 2023
10. Hozier chose WCL to host an intimate sold out pop-up show in May ahead of his album release. He even brought a fan up on stage to play Cherry Wine on guitar!
9. Arthur Thomas & The Funkitorium led a Bridge Session on the intersection of music and social justice, with students taking over the whole venue to participate in music-making workshops this winter.
8. Say She She went from playing The Lounge in January to a packed house in the Music Hall just 9 months later.
7. Beer Fest was one of our favorite annual events as always, because we get to show you what we do best in one afternoon of drinks, food, and music.
6. We collaborated with the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts on Multitudes to commission and premiere 8 pieces from local musicians and poets inspired by PAFA’s Making American Artists exhibition.
5. Sun Ra Arkestra’s Marshall Allen celebrated his 99th birthday in May with a sold out show in The Lounge.
4. Neo-soul group The Side Chicks took the top spot at our free annual Beta Hi-Fi Emerging Artist Festival this summer, amongst a lineup of incredible local talent.
3. Ryan & Angela got engaged on our stage last year, and just a few weeks ago they celebrated their wedding in the Music Hall.
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill herself serenaded us from the mezzanine with an impromptu performance at Dan Rouse’s Roots Picnic Afterparty in June.
1. Stand Up & Shout: Songs From a Philly High School premiered on HBO, documenting a year-long album-making residency with our incredible teaching artists and Hill-Freedman World Academy students.
What was your favorite #WCLexperience of 2023? Share it with us on Instagram!
We can’t thank you enough for your support which helped make these moments possible. Whether you joined us for a show, shared a meal, hosted your special occasion, or added a donation – you made a difference.
There’s still time to give! Please consider a year-end charitable contribution to help sustain World Cafe Live as a nonprofit independent venue dedicated to music, learning, and community.
We’re looking forward to creating even more memorable experiences with you next year as we head into our 20th Anniversary!